It’s starting to look like a pretty good bet that the CIAA basketball tournament will remain in Charlotte, at least for another year.
CIAA Commissioner Jacqie Carpenter and Mayor Patrick Cannon have called a 3 p.m. press conference today to recap events from last week and to provide “an update on the future status of the event.”
Official sources aren’t saying much, but here are the top 5 reasons I believe the tournament will call Charlotte home in 2015.
5. We began to hear reliable rumors late Saturday that the tournament would stay.
4. It’s gotten kinda late for tournament officials to find another home in time for next year’s event.
3. No one on either side appears to be panicking. (Note the smiles in the photo above.)
2. Mayors typically don’t hold press conferences to announce that a major event is leaving his/her town. That announcement would be made in the new host city.
1. CIAA officials have nowhere better to go. Charlotte has been good for the CIAA, and everyone on both sides understands that.
The only question that remains: If a deal is announced today, will it be for just one year to buy more time for CIAA officials to negotiate, or will it be a longer-term deal that will keep the tournament in Charlotte for years to come?
|Other Ways to Share|